Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:11:18 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        core@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, phk@critter.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

>1.  The crt0.s thing is a kludge, which should go away as soon as
>    something more sane is implemented.

Agreed.

>2.  The crt0.s thing is actually a violation of some stds.

See my previous mail about changing it to meet the C standard (change
locale to the one specified by $LANG if $LANG is set, the restore
everything specified by the standard - mainly alpha characters).

>3.  There is no harm to make the default case (unsetenv LANG & all that)
>    be ISO-8859-1, and this will make a lot of people a lot more happy.
>    It may not help Andrey much, but it is a large part of our userbase.

Yes there is.  It has more letters.

>[More that I agree with].

>A)  execute 3.

Nope.

>B)  execute 1. in the other sense of the word, and get crt0.s cleaned up.
>    This will happen January 1st 1996 even if A) and/or C) hasn't happened.

It can't be done sanely until after 3.  Perhaps you meant 2096 :-).

Bruce