Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:14:51 +0900
From:      Sangwoo Shim <ssw@neo.redjade.org>
To:        cmc3list-bsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Radeon 7000 64-bit and xorg

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:19:06AM -0800, cmc3list-bsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> I hope this isn't too off-topic. I just installed
> a new DVD drive on my FreeBSD 5.3 box and now I
> want to upgrade my graphics card from an ATI Pro
> Rage 8M to a Radeon 7000 AGP 64MB 2X/4X.
>
> I'm using Ogle to watch movies, works great so
> far but I'm hoping this new card will give me
> better colors!
>
> My question is if I'll have any problems finding
> a driver for the Radeon 7000 under xorg on 5.3.
> I think it will be OK but I wanted to make sure
> before I spend the money on it. Is there a list
> of cards that xorg supports?

As far as I know, all Radeons are supported regarding 2D-acceleration in xorg.
And I had used Radeon 7000PCI in accordance with FreeBSD-CURRENT for years.
So far, I haven't encountered any trouble. So I don't think you will get any
fatal problem with Radeon 7000.
About Radeon dri support, look here: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon
It summarizes quite well about radeon series' features.

BTW, Radeon 7000 and low-end Radeon 9250 have almost same prices in Korea.
If I were you, I would go for Radeon 9250 (and I did.) YMMV.

Hope these help.

Regards,
Sangwoo Shim