Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:55:22 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI read capacity failures on empty JAZ drives w/inflex & uvscan

I am running inflex (email virus scanner from ports) and am getting
barraged by these log messages:

Sep  3 10:40:49 luke /kernel: (da0:sym0:0:2:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sep  3 10:40:49 luke /kernel: (da0:sym0:0:2:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
Sep  3 10:40:49 luke /kernel: (da0:sym0:0:2:0): Medium not present

for every piece of email that comes in. The da0 device is an empty JAZ
drive. If I put a disk in it the messages stop. Unfortunately, that's
not my favorite alternative since I fear that it may be spinning up the
disk with every read capacity request.

Does anybody know what might be causing this (read capacities on my SCSI
disks) to occur? I suspect that it's uvscan (the McAfee virus scanner
I'm using) that is causing it, but only when invoked from inflex during
sendmail processing of incoming mail (running uvscan otherwise doesn't).

I am currently running:

FreeBSD luke.immure.com 4.4-RC FreeBSD 4.4-RC #7: Mon Sep  3 10:12:56 CDT 2001     bob@luke.immure.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LUKE  i386

but this has been failing for many months and numerous upgrades to the
latest 4-stable.

Thanks,
Bob

--