Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 20:02:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (hackers)
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

Steve Passe écrit / writes:

> >Because one day you or someone else will plug another case on the end
> >of your chain, terminate it, and then spend hours or days trying to work
> >out what's wrong with your I*^(*&^(8&^ SCSI subsystem.

	[...]

> Actually I have done this, but it didn't hurt anything, ie terminators
> at several points, as well as running without terminators at one end.
> On other occasions I have done it and immediately had problems.  There
> is a wide variation of tolerance among equipment.  I have also seen

	Yes, but that is not the  point.  The point was  that you might not
	be the  only one maintaining the  system, and in that  case (unless
	you're a perfect BOFH), you don't randomly  plug terminators on the
	chain :-)

	Provided you wait long enough, it happens  that even you forget you
	put them there, and  while it's "trivial"  to see if the terminator
	is in or not, you *still* have to undo the screws/open the case and
	look (pure hell if you have a 15 unit controller).

	Hell,  that's like  saying, "my machines   work fine without proper
	grounding, I've  never had any  problems".   Hope you have filtered
	power supplies :-)

> setups where it was impossible to run with internal ribbon cable
> and external round cables, had to go to ribbon on both ends.  An impedance
> mismatch, I guess.

	Had that too... And other weirdnesses with Sun systems.

								-- Phil

--
-[ Philippe Regnauld / regnauld@eu.org / +55.4N +11.3E @ Sol3 / +45 31241690 ]-
-[ "To kärve or nøt to kärve, that is the qvestion..."          -- My sister ]-