Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 23:34:01 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, /DD.ALISA=24@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Subject:   Re:

/G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com stands accused of saying:

> Hi FREEBSD ... COULD SOMEONE THERE PLEASE ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS !!!
>
> I am runnig FreeBSD 2.1 on a PC.

This is not a question.

> When I first installed it I could not get the network running because
> it had a3COM 3C590 card in it which FreeBSD does not have a driver for.

This could be construed as a question.  FreeBSD does have a driver for
the 590.  It's the 'vx' driver, and is currently  under test in the -current
tree.  It could probably be brought back to a -stable system with minimal
effort.

> If I telnet to another device it IS SO SLOW .. I could wait
> for three or four minutes for FreeBSD To logon to the other device !!!
>
> What is wrong here ????????

You haven't told the kernel the IRQ you've set the card to, or you
haven't configured your motherboard to pass the IRQ to the ISA bus, or
your '509 is broken.

> Can I just finish the configuration manually , what commands do I use
> to propoerly set the address and gateway ????

Look in /etc/sysconfig.

> ALSO ---
>
> I want to use FreeBSD as a bootp server .... what directory and files
> do I need to know about.

'man bootpd'

> Also .... I want to use FreeBSD as a tftp server .... what directory
> and what type of account do I need to have setup.

'man tftpd'