Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:42:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Jason McKay wrote:

> using both my host name (barney) and domain name (webace.com.au) ... How
> do I get sendmail to not include the host name and just have the
> following:
>
> jasonm@webace.com.au

Yes - I use the virtuser stuff in the m4 config you get with sendmail...
ie. I put the following in my .mc file:

FEATURE(genericstable,hash /etc/maildb/generics-table)dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(/etc/maildb/generics-doms)

Where generics-table is a hash made from a text file containing entries
like these:

scot	scot@poptart.org
mvk1	meichelle@duff-beer.com

ie. - login -> outgoing e-mail address

and the generics-doms file is just a copy of my sendmail.cw - ie. a list
of domains we accept mail for.

Now, if I'm logged into thie host (homer.duff-beer.com), and send mail to
someone (like this list) using homer as an SMTP host, then sendmail will
change the scot@homer.duff-beer.com from address to scot@poptart.org

I make the generics-table database from the text file using:
makemap hash /etc/maildb/generics-table.db <generics-table

Hope this helps.

Scot.

Scot Elliott		scot@poptart.org	Tel: +44 (0)171 2322924
Public key available by finger at:   finger scot@poptart.org