Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:09:07 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a new port - make install wants to strip a shell script

Someone, quite probably Henrik Motakef, once wrote:
>Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to build a new port.  Building from source seems to have gone
>> well enough, I made a Makefile and assorted extras to help the build but
>> when I tested it the thing died here:
>>
>> Installing allegro-config to /var/tmp/allegro/bin
>> /usr/libexec/elf/strip: /var/tmp/allegro/bin/allegro-config: File format
>> not recognized
>[...]
>> Now allegro-config is a shell script which explains the error.
>
>Is allegro-config one of your assorted extras? (I guess so; if your port
>is Allegro Common Lisp, it doesn't contain such a script AFAIK)

Nope, you're giving me far too much credit, I'm starting out with
something easy :-)

The Allegro I'm trying to get working is a games library (I figured a
good starting place for learning how to build ports would be to move one
of the few games I play into ports, and it depends on Allegro).

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

All I've added has been a little shell script that makes the Makefile
usable by the ports system, seriously low grade tinkering.

allegro-config is a Bourne script that is part of the standard install,
and by default it goes in bin.

>If so, how do you install it? You should use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT}, not
>${INSTALL_PROGRAM}, because the latter will try to strip the installed
>program.

That kind of works, at least allegro-config is getting installed without
a problem.
The problem I'm having now is that all the binaries get ignored.

I've tried including an ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} with wildcards to try and
install the binaries but that throws errors but I can't see an obvious
install technique other than declaring there are binaries.  Naming all
the binaries individually feels like a bit of a kludge and I'm sure
there must be a better way to do this.

do-install:
        ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} ${WRKSRC}/allegro-config ${PREFIX}/bin

Any suggestions on how to fix that properly?

Kevin,
      worried about just what he missed in bsd.port.mk this time
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk