Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 08:37:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Call for national time locales

J Wunsch writes:
> As [?KOI8-R?] wrote:
>
>> No, POSIX never mandates it, POSIX mandates real civil life
>> abbreviations only.
>
> Well, so i'd say: either (unpadded) two-letter abbrevs (preferred
> option), or use the three-letter ones Stefan has been posting.  The
> padded two-letter abbreviations look really ugly either way.

If POSIX intends to follow normal national usage, they should be the
standard abbreviations, and they're two letters.  IMO anything else is
just plain incorrect, no matter what POSIX says.  Since it appears
that they are in agreement with this opinion, I don't see that there's
much of a problem: we need the two-letter abbreviations.

On that subject, let me come back to harp on time zone names.  If the
days of the week are in German, why is the time zone this deprecated
MET thing?  Should be MEZ.

Greg