Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:41:58 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failed Installworld... Help?

>> Hey all...
>> Any ideas what might cause the following error?  I'm performing the install
>> as root from the console.   A friend suggested I might be running out of
>> space in one of my file systems, but I doubt that's the problem since all
>> my files systems have 400M free or more.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!!! --John
>> ===> bin
>> ===> bin/cat
>> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   cat /bin
>> /usr/obj/var/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf/strip: /bin/stQ23863: Operation not
>> permitted
>> *** Error code 70
>>
>> Stop.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>Are you doing this in a single-user mode and with an up-to-date kernel?

Well, I just rebuilt the kernel, dropped to single user mode.  make
buildworld went great.  make installworld bombed again, in the same place.

Interesting point - the file name in bin (ie: /bin/stQ23863) is NOT the
same every time.  Every time I make installworld, it has a different
alpha-numeric sequence.  Why would THAT be?

Is there a way to just pick up an installworld at the point of failure and
continue onward?

Thanks again,
John