Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:36:56 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP problems?

"Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu> writes:
><<On Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:30:25 -0800, Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org> sa
>id:
>> <in another window>
>> # arp -s 206.170.75.90 0:0:c0:58:b9:c7 pub
>> <back in the tcpdump window>
>> 00:01:10.865938 0:0:c0:58:b9:c7 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0806 42: arp who-has 206.1
>70.75.90 tell 206.170.75.90
>> Is this bogus, or a subtlety of the arp protocol I don't understand?
>It is an intentional attempt on the part of the ARP implementation to
>provoke anyone else who claims that IP address to send back a reply.
>If somebody actually did reply, then you would get a warning message
>on the console about it.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Next question: So how do I turn on IP forwarding between a PPP interface
and a "de0" interface?
------
         >>> Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org <<<

Nasrudin loaded his donkey with wood for the fire and instead of sitting in
its saddle, sat astride one of the logs.
"Why don't you sit in the saddle?" someone asked.
"What? And add my weight to what the poor animal has to carry? My weight is
on the _wood_ and it is going to stay there."