Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 18:11:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Onstream Tape Drive

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Doug White wrote:

> >   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue May 25 17:01:35 1999
> >   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
> >   DUMP: Dumping /home/data to /dev/rsa0
> >   DUMP: bad sblock magic number
> >   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
>
> You can't dump directories, you must dump filesystems.  Say '/dev/da0s1a',
> for instance.

Ok, good point.  But I tried it using your method, and got the same thing.

> Did you get any system log messages from your attempt with tar?

Nope, not a thing.  I guess that means it's not a kernel error message ?

> `Device not configured' implies the device was not found during boot,
> yet the probe message is there.

It seemed to find it at boot time... I probably forgot to include this in
my first message:

Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
sa0 at ahc2 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <OnStream SC-30 1.01> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)

There aren't any dmesg messages either about any sort of failure, so I'm
at a loss.

> What version of FreeBSD is this?

3.1-STABLE.  We plan on upgrading to 3.2-STABLE once it's out.

*       Bryce Newall       *       Email: data@dreamhaven.net        *
*     WWW: http://www.dreamhaven.net/~data    *    ICQ: 32620929     *
*       "Insanity takes its toll.  Please have exact change."        *