Date:      Sun, 31 May 2009 18:05:33 +0200
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@spoerlein.net>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on top of GELI / Intel Atom 330 system

On Fri, 29.05.2009 at 11:19:44 +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
> Also, free free to criticize my planned filesystem layout for the
> first disk of this system, the idea behind /mnt/sysbackup is to take a
> snapshot of the FreeBSD installation and it's settings before doing
> potentially hazardous things like upgrading to a new -RELEASE:
>
> ad1s1 (freebsd system slice)
> 	ad1s1a =>  128bit Blowfish ad1s1a.eli 4GB swap
> 	ad1s1b 128GB ufs2+s /
> 	ad1s1c 128GB ufs2+s noauto /mnt/sysbackup
>
> ad1s2 =>  128bit Blowfish ad1s2.eli
> 	zpool
> 		/home
> 		/mnt/data1

Hi Dan,

everybody has different needs, but what exactly are you doing with 128GB
of / ? What I did is the following:

2GB CF card + CF to ATA adapter (today, I would use 2x8GB USB sticks,
CF2ATA adapters suck, but then again, which Mobo has internal USB ports?)

Filesystem             1024-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0a                   507630    139740   327280    30%    /
/dev/ad0d                  1453102   1292296    44558    97%    /usr
/dev/md0                    253678        16   233368     0%    /tmp

/usr is quite crowded, but I just need to clean up some ports again.
/var, /usr/src, /home, /usr/obj, /usr/ports are all on the GELI+ZFS
pool. If /usr turns out to be to small, I can also move /usr/local
there. That way booting and single user involves trusty old UFS only.

I also do regular dumps from the UFS filesystems to the ZFS tank, but
there's really no sacred data under / or /usr that I would miss if the
system crashed (all configuration changes are tracked using mercurial).

Anyway, my point is to use the full disks for GELI+ZFS whenever
possible. This makes it more easy to replace faulty disks or grow ZFS
pools. The FreeBSD base system, I would put somewhere else.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spörlein
--
http://www.dubistterrorist.de/