Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:44:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Still no Java in Netscape?!

I just downloaded Netscape 2.0b6a and am starting to get frustrated that
Netscape has Java-enabled EVERY SINGLE UNIX version of Netscape EXCEPT
for BSDI...  What are they thinking, it can't be that difficult (although
not knowing how their internal class-library implementation is, I can't
be positive, but I am pretty sure they're not using that dlopen() call
that was their excuse for not Java-enabling it earlier).  Can anyone bend
Netscape's ear to add this support sooner?  Jordan?

Also, I tried running the Linux version, but it gave hundreds of
"syslog() not supported" messages and wouldn't read the host.conf file I
had placed in "/compat/linux/etc/host.conf", choosing the incompatible
/etc version first.  I'm running FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE.  Should I upgrade
to -CURRENT (at least the kernel) to get better Linux emulation?  What am
I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance...

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL