Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:47:12 -0700
From:      james@blacksun.reef.com (James Buszard-Welcher)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, james@blacksun.reef.com (James Buszard-Welcher)
Cc:        cassy@loop.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID Controller Product

OK, this is now officially a DNS question...

On Oct 2,  8:23am, Joe Greco wrote:
> Subject: Re: RAID Controller Product
> > Wouldn't there be a delay for clients still trying to reach
> > your news server? If they have cached an IP address for
> > news.wherever.com, and then you took it out of Round Robin,
> > would there still be a finite number of clients trying to
> > reach that IP address?  (Assuming they aren't looking to your
> > nameserver and you didn't HUP it).
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that Netscape doesn't (or at least didn't with
> > 2.0) query the nameserver each time...
>
> Netscape's loss, not mine.  If they do not honour my TTL, that is
> their own freaking problem.

	Gotcha. But for the length of your TTL, would there
	be some of your clients going to the wrong IP address?
	The one that's down?

> Question:
>
> Would you rather have your service entirely unavailable because
> something strange happened and your box panicked and locked up?
> Because some malicious soul hacked their way in and decided to
> newfs your root filesystem?  Etc.?
>
> I would rather have total redundancy :-)
>
> ... JG
>-- End of excerpt from Joe Greco

	I'm with ya. I would rather have total redundancy.
	But it seems like there would be a period where you
	*didn't* have total redundancy because some clients
	would still hit the bad IP address because their
	local-nameserver (for instance) has cached RR A
	record... do you just lower your TTL to a small number?

--
James Buszard-Welcher  | ph. (847) 729-8600 | "There is water on the bottom
Silicon Reef, Inc.     | FAX (847) 729-1560 |  of the ocean" - David Byrne