Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:46:23 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mandating USA_RESIDENT

On 18-Jan-00 Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> Won't people get into legal trouble (technically) if they build the
> wrong version?

        As far as I understand things specifying USA_RESIDENT=yes when it is
not true is liable (technically) to get some US based ftp server operator in
trouble (most likely Walnut Creek) by downloading export controlled material
from a US ftp site (this seems insane to me but that is my understanding). It
may also get the user into trouble depending on the legal status of crypto in
their country. Setting USA_RESIDENT=no when it is not true is liable to get the
user into trouble for patent violations.