Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:46:33 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        mag@intron.ac, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        garyj@jennejohn.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usbdevs "self powered" is misleading

> Julian Stacey wrote:
> > "self powered" is reported by 6.1-RELEASE usbdevs for my small external disc.
> > It seems a misnomer & should at most be "Can be self powered" ?
> > The disc housing has a socket to apply power, but was not plugged
> > in.  (I don't even have a power supply for it).  Disc was cabled
> > direct to laptop, not through a hub, & showed:
> >    Controller /dev/usb1:
> >    addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> > 	 Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
> >     port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1,
> > 	 USB 2.0 Storage Device(0x5621), vendor 0x0402(0x0402), rev 1.03
> > When I added a USB-2 Hub (with hub power supply plugged in to 220V)"
> >     Controller /dev/usb1:
>      addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> > 		Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
> >       port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1,
> > 		USB2.0 Hub Cont(0x0058), NEC Corporation(0x0409), rev 1.00
> >        port 1 addr 5: full speed, self powered, config 1,
> > 		USB 2.0 Storage Device(0x5621), vendor 0x0402(0x0402), rev 1.03
> > Sometimes "self powered" seems correct though, as for eg:
> > 	- a GPS with battery inside.
> > 	- a USB2-IDE + 3.5" IDE disc + external 220V supply
> > Comments ?

Warner wrote.
--------
mag@intron.ac wrote:
>      Power supply current required by USB device is reported by USB
> device itself. If you consider the "self powered" to be incorrect,
> the fault should be owed to the USB device.

Thanks, So my USB to IDE is lieing to FreeBSD. (I had wondered about that).
The chip is labelled:
	ALi		("i' is lower case)
	M5621 A1
	0338 TH05
	XHFPAR00000I
Search engines recognise "ALI M5621".    Just for interest, I
presume/hope other people with other chips have seen USB to IDE
enclosures that don't lie ?  (Caution opening: I blew my first box
(with a different chip) with static by mistake !)

--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML=spam.     Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.