Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 16:19:49 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: starting gnome...

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:13:53 GMT, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I guess this means i want panel & and then the WM in the script, right?

You should really get into the habit of trying what you can on your own,
especially once you've gotten pointers in the right direction.  The
answer to your question is probably "yes", but it wouldn't have taken
you long to find out.  I don't use WindowMaker. :-)

> Why doesn't the docs anywhere say how to run Gnome like this?

This isn't a Gnome-specific issue -- it's a basic shell process
management issue, with a little X-related common sense thrown in.  It's
something you'll understand better once you've read the startx(1) and
sh(1) manpages.  You can get away with just the startx(1) manpage if
you're already comfortable with shell scripts.

> Do they really assume everyone is running RedHat and it's just a
> matter of running LinuxConf?

They probably take for granted that someone who's going to run their
window manager either has things set up for him (as in the LinuxConf
case) or reads the documentation for getting an X display server up and
running (startx(1) or xdm(1) ). :-P

Have fun!

Later,
Sheldon.