Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 13:59:15 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on cardbus/pcmcia needed

> I'm trying to determine the proper action to take to allow ethernet
> capability on my Toshiba Portege 650CT.  This machine is currently
> running FBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE (installed over a laplink).  The Toshiba
> 650CT is a CardBus machine (as are many (most?) of the laptops
> released in the last 18 months).
>
> According to Nate Williams on this list:
>
> (11/17) PAO includes PCI/CardBus support, but FBSD does not.

FreeBSD has PCI support, but no support for CardBus devices.

> (12/2)  Ted Faber added support for the CL PD6832 (a PCMCIA card)
>         on CardBus machines, and the architectural support for other
>         PCMCIA cards although no others have been added or tested.
>         This new driver support is in FBSD -current.

This is not correct; the PD6832 is a CardBus *controller*, which can
also work in PCCARD mode.

> (12/5)  PAO includes boot probes for additional devices, and
> (12/29) has better docs, more drivers, and easier setup.

PAO has driver support for extra devices.  Whether the docs are better
and/or the setup is easier is debatable.

> CL PD6832 (same as added by Ted Faber), TI PCI-1130, and TI PCI-1131
> chipsets are currently supported.  (I can't find any of these devices
> mentioned in the list of supported hardware for either PAO or FBSD, so
> I don't know what type of cards these are.)

They're not; they're interface chipsets found in laptops.

> OK, given this information, is it possible for my Toshiba to currently run
> (reliably) any Ethernet cards, and if so, what card is recommended, what's
> the best way to migrate to the necessary OS version, and do I need PAO?

 - FreeBSD-current can't help you unless you can convince your chipset
   to run in a PCCARD-compatible mode.  TSETUP may give you this option.
 - If you try the PAO code and it recognises your hardware and will
   support ordinary PCCARD cards on it, I'm more than happy with most
   of the NE2000 clone PCCARDs around.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\