Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 23:25:56 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Managed vs unmanaged NICs

>> I've heard that managed cards are wastes of money under
>> Unix-type OSes, but I don't remember why...  Could someone fill
>> me in?  :)
>> For examples, the Intel 100+ and the 3Com 905B are both
>> available as either "managed" or "unmanaged" cards.
>
>   Well, I can't say much about managed vs. unmanaged in general, I can
>say that there are some problems I can only describe as 'wierd' with the
>intel managed cards.  They only show up rarely, but on some hardware, the
>cards just lock up and don't send data anymore.  Intel is aware of the
>problem and trying to figure it out... Most hardware works fine... but we
>have computers at my work that will work with the older unmanaged cards
>that won't work with the new ones. *shrug* beats me.

   This is almost certainly the bug reported in a recent PR. Intel has changed
the SEEPROM layout, causing the fxp driver to get the MAC address wrong - it's
always the same 6 bytes, so if you have more than one of these on your network,
look out!
   I've been in contact with Intel and have asked for an update on the SEEPROM
layout changes. I'm still waiting for a response.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com