Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 95 17:23 MET
From:      me@tartufo.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A call for DNS secondaries to server for <dom>.freebsd.org

In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:

>I think we should also consider the possible confusion this may
>cause and only create new subdomains in pairs.  E.g. it would be
>really evil if we had ftp.fr.freebsd.org, ftp.it.freebsd.org, etc.
>and then an ftp.freebsd.org.uk but no ftp.uk.freebsd.org.
>It would cause no end of questions.

>What do other folks think?  Are we perhaps over-complicating this?

I think it's over-complicating things. Due to the cachieness of name
service it's not saving much traffic (if at all) and you can't rely
on orthogonal nameing, e.g. there is no such thing as .org.de

On the other hand, the internic weren't the first to charge for
domain registration. Here in Germany it costs about DM 800 or so per
year to have a domain.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, DITEC, Muenchen, Germany - me@muc.ditec.de