Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:55:14 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL 0.9.8k -> 0.9.8l

On Apr 21, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Tim Gustafson wrote:

>> RELENG_8_0 is 8.0 + critical bug fixes.
>=20
>> =46rom what I gather, the exploits in 0.9.8k are pretty serious.  :\
>=20
>> If you're not too pressed for time, 8.1 is "only" a couple of
>> months away and will hopefully ship with 0.9.8n which is what
>> we currently have in head.
>=20
> Well, we may have to wait, or maybe update to RELENG_8 and cross our =
fingers.  :)

It is a misconseption to think that one _has to_ run the latest version =
(as suggested by dumb network scans) in order to remain compliant (PCI =
DSS or otherwise). What is needed is that the issues found are either =
patched or documented to be not applicable.

All current OpenSSL issues in the versions shipping with RELENG_8_0 =
have, to my knowledge, been fixed by the secteam or do not apply to =
FreeBSD.

/Eirik