Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 07:11:27 -0500
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        uriah.heep.sax.de!joerg_wunsch@dg-rtp.dg.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another problem with sysinstall with SL/IP.

> > However, I just noticed in the sysinstall generated /etc/sysconfig,
> > it produced:
> >
> > network_interfaces="cuaa0 lo0"
> > ifconfig_cuaa0="inet ..."
> >

> > which, of course, doesn't work - these should be:
> >
> > network_interfaces="sl0 lo0"
> > ifconfig_slo="inet ..."
>
> No, it must be
>
> network_interfaces="lo0"
>
> sl0 cannot be initialized at boot time, since the initialization can
> only be done after slattach has turned the port into something that
> can speak IP.  This case is not handled by the current /etc/rc and
> /etc/sysconfig scheme (and i doubt somebody could come up with a true
> generic method to do it).
>
> --
> cheers, J"org

 I know this is ancient news, but I'm behind again.

 Anyway, I'd like to consider the following scenario:

	1) slattach
	2) ifconfig
	3) modem goes down
	4) restart slattach to reconnect

 does that mean I have to re-ifconfig the sl0 device after slattach
restabilishes the line?  I don't think so...

 Thus, there is a state in which no slattach is running, and the
ifconfig on sl0 is valid.

 What that says to me is that you can, in fact, ifconfig sl0 before
doing a slattach.  I've been doing it for a few years now with great
success.

 This way, I can ifconfig the sl0 device in /etc/rc, assigning its
IP address there - and the network isn't available until someone
does the  slattach.  This is really handy..

 In fact, I've changed my /etc/rc to do exactly what I implied
in the original note:

> > network_interfaces="sl0 lo0"
> > ifconfig_slo="inet ..."

 it appears to be working just fine (as it always has.)

[although, there is some route weirdness that got introduced in 2.1]

	- Dave Rivers -