Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:56:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I Volunteer

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Jason Andresen wrote:

>I thought the strength of uw-imap was that it was fairly easy to
>configure for a machine with local users.

The strength of uw-imap is clearly that it's fairly easy to allow remote
users to root your machine.  courier-imap has a bit better track record
but still isn't stellar.  This month there were exploits for both
uw-imap and courier-imap.

>The same certainly couldn't be said for Cyrus.  Heck, I nearly slit my
>own wrists out of frustration trying to get Cyrus working.  Doesn't
>help that its online documentation is poo either.

Configuring Cyrus isn't any more difficult than any sufficiently useful
piece of software like a good MTA, amanda, BIND, etc.  The Linux Cyrus
HOWTO is helpful as is the O'Reilly Managing IMAP book.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net