Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 01:24:02 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

>From The Desk Of Michael Hancock :
> On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Doug Wellington wrote:
>
> > those three languages...  So, my point is, Java isn't anything special,
> > it's just neutered C++, Perl, Python and TCL...  We already have all these
> > other tools, they're stable and established, and free!

I think that what attracts people to Java is not the language rather the
cool things you can do with java on the web and also because it runs
on win95 -- its resemblance to C++ is definitly a win .

tcl got ported to win95 however I think that java is in better shape
on win95 than tcl.

tcl is okay however its lack of higher structures makes it a pain if you
don't resort to itcl or one of the "object-oriented" packages for tcl.

About three  years ago , tcl could have rule the Net by way of
"smart-agents" (safe-tcl + plus some extensions) . Is just that
no one really felt like tackling the project.

Both tcl/tk and java have made it a whole easier to create portable
graphic apps :
pull down windows , displaying images , etc...

Hope that I make sense 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio