Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:50:28 -0600
From:      Chris <cc@137.org>
Cc:        David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.0.2

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:51:05AM -0600, David Syphers wrote:
>
> > the binaries from a directory labeled "FreeBSD 5.x".  So I tried the ports,
> > and it built fine for a long time, and then after about 35300 lines of
> > output to the screen, ran into
> >
> > make: don't know how to make ../../../fonts/encodings/encodings.dir. Stop
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/work/xc/fonts/bdf.
>
> The port should be working, but since it's not for you, just add the package.
>
> pkg_add -r XFree86

If you are currently running 4.0.1, I would seriously recommend skipping
this
minor revision.  I have run into a multitude of problems with it, and am now
back right where I started.

One, is the lack of DRM support for the matrox cards anymore.  The kernel
module has a version number in it, which is less than that required by the
DRM system.  It won't insert the module until you update this--so it appears
that no one is actually using it.

Another, is that there seem to be delays in the event stream, making
interactive performance terrible.  One example: When I go to move a window,
start dragging it, moving the outline as I go.  Then I unclick, yet the
frame
is still visible.  I actually have to move the mouse more to get the window
move to take effect.  There are other cases, where it appears to lose events
all together--like clicking on windows to raise them, or with menus.

There were also a handful of other things, that I don't recall offhand now.
These problems were observed on a 4.2-STABLE box, not too long ago.  I have
compiled the source from scratch (with and without matrox DRM stuff), as
well
as using the stock 4.0.2_5 package, both of which behave the same.

Chris