Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:29:43 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smallest piece of hardware that runs *BSD?

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:06:18PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 04:17:37PM +0200, C. Kukulies wrote:
> > Now, we are not far from that. I'm thinking of some CPU with TP Ethernet
> > and memory of size of an USB stick. Anyone knowing such or having
> > experience?
>
> Here's one the size of a credit card: <http://www.compulab.co.il/586core.htm>.
> It's a lot bigger than a 'bump in a cable', but it runs FreeBSD.

Leaves the question how much of the data on that page is correct.
The elan chip is 486 class as we all know from soekris systems.
At least it's smaller for shure.
Unless you want to stick with FreeBSD you could also go NetBSD/ARM or
embedded IP with a 8 bit µC.
I asume the later could be done in the 30x30mm Range with Ethernet.
Currently I do much smaller with slip.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de