Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:15:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
Subject:   Re: values for exit()

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> > >  Where can I find the exit values for
> > >  exit()?  Meaning, what is the difference
> > >  between eg exit(1) and exit(2)?
> >
> > each application defines their return code meanings. The important
> > rule is that 0 means no error, non-zero indicates an error or special
> > condition.
>
> Although this is true in practice, the theory is in sysexits.h

Brian, I don't think so.  Excepting maybe Garrett, who uses it a lot for
networking, I don't think it's used a whole great deal.  The non-standard
may be nearer a standard, although (because sysexits offsets the returns
from a fairly high base number to allow for exit numbers already out
there) sysexits is pretty compatible.  Some return the errno, don't they?

> > --mark.
>
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
>       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
> Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |