Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:07:14 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkenn@bns.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ET4000/W32p server problems solved

I posted here a couple of weeks ago about problems I was having with my
ET4000/W32p chipset on the video card and getting it to run the
accelerated server. I didn't get any replies on that particular aspect of
my question, but I've just worked out what I've been doing wrong. So, in
the interests of helping others who might be having similar problems, and
for posterity in the archives, this is what got it working for me:

In the Section "Device" in XF86Config, added the lines
   Chipset         "et4000w32p_rev_c"
   Ramdac          "generic"
   Option          "slow_dram"

The latter was needed to stop the monitor powering down when the server
started, which was another symptom of my problem.

A brief entry in ~/.xserverrc and I was away. :-)

The accelerated server runs like a charm, (although I must admit I
haven't noticed any major improvements over the generic SVGA one :-)

Kris

|| ,-./\ Kris Kennaway || "Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.   ||
||/     \              ||  Dead. Dead. Dead. How can you apologize to them?" ||
||\_,-*_/ kkenn@       || "I..can't" "Then how can I forgive?"               ||
||     v    bns.com.au || - G'Kar and Vir, "Comes the Inquisitor", Babylon 5 ||