Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:32:35 +0000
From:      Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: netfilter in freebsd

Not really.. after lot's of digging through.. there is a major difference
between the two... ipfilter is a true statefull packet filter... that is it has
a state table that can keep track of every packet that you send using the 'keep
state' keyword. this way you can block anything that you didn't send. while ipfw
has the 'established' option but it doesn't use state table (memory) but only
decide upon seeing certain flags in the packet (ACT and maybe FIN) which anybody
can fake and pierce your firewall.

Duraid