Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:07:43 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        hsmpr <mukunda@pointred.co>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS mount not working on AVILA

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 03:21 -0700, hsmpr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AVILA board for which kernel is built with option to mount NFS. I
> have done some debugging to make sure, npe transmit routines are reached. as
> shown below.
>
> HSM : npe_txdone [Debug inserted]
> DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
> Sending DHCP Discover packet from interface npe0 (00:40:c7:fd:a5:86)
> HSM : npestart done [Debug inserted]
> HSM : npe_txdone [Debug inserted]
> DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
>
> This will continue forever
> But on a wireshark capture, I do not see any discover packet being sent from
> the board. While, RedBoot is able to get the kernel from the TFTP server
> hosted on the same route. Additionally, the mac address was set to all
> zeros. The behavior has not changed after I manually set the MAC address to
> a valid value in the kernel code. Can somebody help?
>

> hsmpr

I had exactly the same symptoms when I first tried to bring up my
DreamPlug.  I eventually tracked it down to the pin assignments for
connecting the on-chip ethernet mac to its phy.  It thought it was
sending packets, but the electrons never made it out of the SoC.  In my
case, the TFTP code in uBoot had assigned the pins correctly, but then
some wrong values in the FDT source caused the kernel to re-assign them
differently so that it stopped working after the kernel loaded.

-- Ian