Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux h

>     Ah, the joys of fdisk and disklabels.  I've learned more in the last
>     two days then I ever really wanted to find out :-)
>
> 	# clear out feldercarp at the base of the
> 	# disk and create a real slice for freebsd.  Install
> 	# the MBR.
> 	#
> 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=16
> 	fdisk -BI da0
>
> 	# clear out feldercarp in the slice and then disklabel the
> 	* slice (using my patch) + the boot blocks
> 	#
> 	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1  count=16
> 	disklabel -w -r -B da0s1 auto
>
>     Presumably a '-z' option to disklabel would do the equivalent of what
>     the 'dd' in the above examples are doing.

I guess. There's always some hack to dd me and David O'Brien keep asking about
adding- you have to do the DIOCWLABEL.

This keeps on getting discussed over and over and over again. Bruce claims to
understand all of this- I sure don't. I *do* know that dangerously dedicated
disks that are built on i386 aren't readable on alpha (a mistake that linux
avoids).

I have some mail going back a year saying "this all has to be fixed for
4.0!". Guess what?

The story probably is "somebody needs to own the issue" and it hasn't reached
a level of pain for me to do that (other things are far more painful).

-matt