Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:02:37 -0400
From:      James F.Hranicky <jfh@cise.ufl.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 4.7 fixit floppy

While trying to debug the init panic I reported earlier ("Panic: init dying
with 4.7 kernel"), I tried booting my system with the boot floppies and
using the fixit floppy. However, any time I ran any of the programs on the
fixit floppy, they segfaulted. Even if I mount up the 4.7 fixit on a 4.6
system, the same thing happens (I attempt to ktrace the execution below):

	<root@cedar:/tmp> # echo foo | ktrace -id /mnt/stand/grep foo
	zsh: done                              echo foo |
	zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  ktrace -id /mnt/stand/grep foo
	<root@cedar:/tmp> # kdump | m
	 12546 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
 	 12546 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbffba7,0xbfbffaa8,0xbfbffab4)
	 12546 ktrace   NAMI  "/mnt/stand/grep"
 	 12546 grep     RET   execve 0
 	 12546 grep     PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL
	 12546 grep     NAMI  "grep.core"

Unfortunately, the ktrace gives no info.

I'm stumped at this point.

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |