Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:19:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu>
To:        hackers
Subject:   shared library with static Motif?

Is there a way to create a shared library with references to Motif routines
resolved statically so one doesn't have to also distribute a Motif shared
library?  Something like

  gcc -shared -o liba.so <lots of objects> -Xlinker -Bstatic libXm.a -Xlinker -Bdynamic -lX11

Even if there was a way to do this, I'm afraid this would not
legally qualify to make liba.so freely redistributable and that
the program which uses liba.so would itself have to statically link
in the Motif library like

  gcc -o j main.o -la libXm.a -lX11

except I don't think this pulls in any Motif routines from libXm.a at
link time.  I'm going to try this now.  I'd hate to have to determine
all the Motif routines used in liba.so and artificially create undefined
references to them so the routines get pulled in from from libXm.a at
link time.