Date:      09 Nov 1999 05:56:48 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: let us restart pecefully

Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> writes:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
> >  First of all,yes i have maanged to bring him so far as to
> >  spit out some bytes.But on rather strange manner:i brought
> >  it up with lpc up lp,previously it was not possible for me
> >  to get it working with lpc start|enable all.As far as
> >  understood it from man pages though,the function
> >  of start|enable and up is rather identical.So
> >  the question #1:
> >  1)Is it a bug or a feature?What is the
> >  expected way?What is the difference between
> >  up and enable.
>
> it seems 'start' will start lpd, while 'enable' will only
> enable queing on the printer, it assumes you already have
> lpd running.

Ahem, you're probably right on the spot here.  Tried that on my lpd
tonight and -- sure thing -- it worked exactly like that.  It seems that
the _enable_ command tries to enable queueing without starting a daemon.
From /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpc/cmds.c (line 372) we read:

    /*
     * Turn off the group execute bit of the lock file to enable queuing.
     */

and the enable() function does just that.  Only the startpr() function a
few lines below starts a new daemon if one is not present.

> >  Yet to statemnet about just few bytes.
> >  I use apsfilter and programm claims
> >  that it could handle TIFF format but i got reverse staircase
> >  effect while trying to print out some man pages.So question
> >  #2 is:
> >  How can i handle reverse staircase effect in this particular
> >  case?
>
> This is odd, manpages aren't in TIFF format.

They certainly aren't.  At least those that I have seen so far.

> I think it would be great if you could provide us with your
> printcap file so we can see exactly what's going on.

Oh, and please (not that I can't read it otherwise, but) it would be
nice if you didn't use base-64 MIME encoded attachments.  Just quote
your printcap entry.  Something like:

	lp|Line Printer:\
		:sh:\
		:mx#0:

Regards.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]