Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:58:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mandating USA_RESIDENT

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:

> If we are changing the meaning of "USA_RESIDENT", could we replace it by

We're not. It's just that until now it hasn't really mattered if it
wasn't set (the cases where it did matter, like whether or not to fetch a
crypto port from a US site, it was required it to be set there). Now it
needs to be set to do a buildword.

> It seems to me that a things progress, the crypto regulation gets more
> complicated everyday. Why not have a "CRYPTO_COUNTRY" variable that could be
> set to "USA" "FRANCE" "CANADA" or "other" based where you live and weither
> special consideration must be taken relative to the crypto code ?

I don't know much about the restrictions of other countries. If the
current crypto policies were a legal problem for someone else we can
surely change them to suit, but I'd rather not complicate things even more
than they are already without a reason..

> The other thing that could be set based on the CRYPTO_COUNTRY code is where
> to get the FreeBSD crypto related source from.

Well, right now there is only one non-US crypto repository (AFAIK), so
"closest" is a degenerate case :-)

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson