Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:14:37 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Jim Turk <jim_turk@ix.netcom.com>, wosch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CGI scripts for FreeBSD documentation project

On 1998-12-06 13:40:38 -0700, Jim Turk wrote:
> I would like to contribute to the FreeBSD documentation project.  Your
> e-mail address is listed under the Current Projects web page.
>
> I have over fifteen years of software development experience with a number
> of different languages, operating systems, frameworks, and databases.  My
> current work experience includes CGI scripts on the intranet to report
> project status.
>
> Please get me up to speed on your projects and let me know what needs to be
> done.  Also, provide information about policies, procedures, etc.

[cc: freebsd-doc]

Thanks for your offer!

I have a simple task on my TODO list:

We need a script which check if our web mirrors are up to date
and in sync with the main FreeBSD webserver www.freebsd.org

The list of official web mirror site is available
from the homepage http://www.freebsd.org

http://www.freebsd.org/index.html
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.au.freebsd.org/">Australia/1</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www2.au.freebsd.org/">Australia/2</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www3.au.freebsd.org/">Australia/3</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.br.freebsd.org/www.freebsd.org/">Brazil/1</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www2.br.freebsd.org/www.freebsd.org/">Brazil/2</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www3.br.freebsd.org/">Brazil/3</OPTION>;
<OPTION VALUE="http://www.bg.freebsd.org">Bulgaria</OPTION>;
[...]

Now you can do a HEAD request for every mirror
and check if
	a) the server is up and running
	b) is up to date - field 'Last-Modified'
	c) the 'Content-Length' is correct

$ lynx -dump -head http://www.freebsd.org/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK