Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:10:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Glen.gippolit@adelphia.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 Glen.gippolit@adelphia.net wrote:
>
> > Can you mount a msdos file system that is larger that 1024 cyl!!!
> >
> > Last time I did this it hosed my machine!!!
>
> Don't use FIPS on these filesystems?
>
> I wasn't aware there was a problem mounting large DOS partitions.

There is definitely a problem with the 2.1.X series of code when trying
to use filesystems with greater than 16K per cluster.  That normally
includes MSDOS filesystems that are 512MB or greater.  When you use
FIPS to shrink an MSDOS FS from, say 1GB, to say, 400MB, the cluster
size does not decrease, and there is still a problem.  Note that you
are still in danger EVEN if you mount the MSDOS FS read-only.

The problem appears to be fixed in the 2.2 series of code.

John
dyson@freebsd.org