Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:36:37 +0100
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        kita@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: adding users

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 07:59:45AM -0500, kita jackson wrote:
> 1. I was attempting to add users via the post-install config, but the
> users never could log in?
> The screen fields were:
> login id, uid, group, full name, member group, and so on.
> could you explain these functions and why they would not allow the users
> to log in.

What do you mean with 'why they would not....' Do you mean that filling
in things in these fields won't allow people to log in? ?? Que?

You give a person a login name ie 'login id', you give the person an
unique (to the system) user id 'uid', you assign a group to the user
(could be users, if that one is defined in the /etc/groups file) The
full name is ... Ahh you guessed it, the persons full name. member
groups is any additional groups that the user should be in, and the
login shell is the shell the user will be using when logged into the
system. And of course this shell has to be defined in /etc/shells file.
If you've managed to use these fields the way I described it, it
certainly won't be the reason why they're disaloowed login.

> 2. How exactly do you eliminate using root as the log in?

You create a user for yourself, that is in the group wheel. This will
make it possible for you to su to root instead od directly logging in as
root. This will also make you get used to not using root for other
purposes tha absolutely needed.

Don't delete root or rename him/her, but be sure to have a password for
root!

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_