Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:24:25 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Hacking stuffs (Bidirectional Parallel Port)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:

> 	Have you looked at the Parallel Port Bus info (ie, ppbus)?
>
> 	I was going to use this while creating a driver for my parallel
> port scanner, but noticed it would require a more advanced knowledge of C
> than I had at the time.
>
> --
> Phillip Salzman

I had not looked at it until you mentioned it.  It suffers the same
problems that the lpt.c driver does.   The way these drivers gain their
bidirectional ability is by tying the status lines (ACK, BUSY, PE, ERROR,
and 1 I forget) to the data lines, allowing 5 bits of data at a time, one
of these bits is used as a framing signal (0x1x means high nibble is being
transfered, 0x0x is the low nibble).

Am I correct in thinking that 'modern' bidirectional ports and printers
have 8 lines dedicated to carrying data in both directions?  Or is this
the only way it has ever been, and ever will be?

--
David Cross