Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:46:14 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        nigel.houghton@sourcefire.com
Cc:        GiZmen <gizmen@pals.one.pl>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mar 25, at 02:18 PM, Nigel Houghton <nigel.houghton@sourcefire.com> wrote:

> You might want to enable ipfw (or some firewall of your choice) and employ
> the judicious use of rules. Use Snort to monitor the network. The thing
> is, it really all depends on your setup, do you use a single host or do
> you have a small home network, do you serve up web sites or run a mail
> server, do you require remote access to your hosts or local only? All
> these things (and many others) have an impact on what you should be
> looking at to secure your environment.

"Might want to enable [a firewall]..." ?! IMHO, you _must_ employ a
firewall! The 'net is not the friendly, trusted, and scholastic environment
it once was. Even Microsquish(tm) put one in XP Home Edition; if _they_
think it must be done, well...  ;-,
I filter outgoing packets too, and I know others that do as well, but
maybe we're just over-zealous.

You might want to look at Tripwire. It's not necessarily "light-weight",
but it's good.

Mail filters are a must now, if you ask me. Spam accounts for the
majority of incoming mail anymore in an unfiltered environment.

Don't use NFS or Samba on a public interface. That just begs for trouble.
Ditto FTP and telnet. Use SSH, and keep the allowable hosts lists
short and trustable.

> My advice would be to think about what you want to achieve, write down
> everything you want to do and explore solutions. Google is your friend.

Yes, planning is everything. "Measure twice, and cut once.". Think
about a DMZ if you're going to advertise public web, mail, etc., servers.

These opinions are not of my employers', as I currently don't have one.
Dave

--