Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 09:22:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Neswold <neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov>
To:        Simon N Atkin <simat@enta.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Dialin, burst traffic

On Wed, 21 May 1997, Simon N Atkin wrote:

> Hi, setup my freebsd bsd box at the weekend for dialin with PPP running
> across it,
>
> It's much faster than using a router (obviously)  But when downloading a
> file from the server that the modem is connected to I only get burst
> pulses of traffic.
>
> [snip]
>
> Just in case anyone doesn't understand burst pulse traffic, then it is
> that the modem RX light doesn't stay on all the time while transfering ,
> i.e loss of bandwidth.

I've used both SLIP and PPP under FreeBSD, OS/2, Linux, and Win95. I've
*never* seen a continuous stream of data under any of these implementations.
I always assumed it was due to TCP/IP handshaking and how loaded each
machine is. If you're downloading off the Internet, you also have to worry
about every machine that forwards your packets and the handshaking needed
every step of the way.

If I need to download a large file as quickly as possible, I'll dial in to
my shell acount using 'minicom' and grab the file with ZMODEM. That's when I
see continuous data being sent.

Hope this helps...

  Rich

  Richard Neswold, Accelerator Div./Controls Dept |     neswold@fnal.gov
  Fermilab, PO Box 500, MS 347, Batavia, IL 60510 | voice (630) 840-3454
  'finger neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov' for PGP key     |   fax (630) 840-3093