Date:      Sat, 24 May 2008 14:57:43 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc:        phoemix@harmless.hu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata mode at startup

> It would also be impossible to maintain,

I'm suprised.  I'd been thinking of an analogy to USB quirk table,
(I sent send-pr's for entries for that), but you know ATA code, I don't.

> thats why the current knobs
> are there, if DMA fails you boot in "safe" mode ie PIO and then you
> can experiment to your hearts content what your flakey HW can take.

Good point. ( I've wished before though, we'd thought of a more intuitive
name for "Safe", though not sure what it might be.)

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com
	Mail just Ascii plain text.  HTML & Base64 text are spam.