Date:      Tue, 28 May 2013 15:28:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "toolchain@freebsd.org" <toolchain@FreeBSD.org>, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

On May 28, 2013, at 12:10 PM, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 28 May 2013, at 18:40, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
>> That's not going to happen soon. While it works OK for amd64, there's =
still many bugs in its ARM support and even more in its MIPS support. =
There's 0 chance it will be gone in 10...
>=20
> I disagree.  There is a significant chance that gcc in base will be =
gone for all Tier 1 platforms in 10.0.  There are still some reasons to =
want gcc installed, but there are no compelling reasons to want an =
ancient version of gcc installed on x86[-64] or ARM.  For people who =
need gcc, the ports collection provides a selection of recent versions.

I think that's wildly optimistic.  We have an integrated system, and =
until clang makes it through a release, we need an easy to deploy backup =
plan. While you can use clang in 9.x, it isn't default, so we're not =
getting a lot of testing. While it is default in -current, there have =
been many features that were default in current for years that didn't =
find major, day-one problems when the release came.

Today clang is useless for ARM kernels with WITNESS due to clang bugs. =
While these bugs are being addressed (or maybe in the last week or two =
have been addressed), there's be no stress testing of clang-built =
systems to the level where we'd have high confidence that the result is =
production ready. We haven't even begun to start to shake out all the =
other ARM bugs that may be present. While it is true that Apple's #1 =
target with clang is arm and amd64, it isn't for a system that's totally =
identical to FreeBSD, so there are bound to be integration issues =
lurking.

And that doesn't even begin to cover ports, but at least there a =
fallback to gcc strategy can be via the ports tree.

History with the project follows the pattern of having wildly idealistic =
goals, followed by realistic achievement in a time frame that was much =
longer than was initially planned. Clang adaptation has followed this =
pattern to date, and there's no reason to believe that it will be so =
perfect that a fallback to gcc won't be needed for 10.

Besides, it will still be needed for ia64, sparc64 and likely mips in =
the 10 time frame, so it will still be in the system, and still =
integrated into the system. That's really where my 0 chance comment came =
from. The FreeBSD project is more than just tier 1 platforms.

Warner