Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:57:30 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        John Heyer <heyer@cs.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: Innd Question

> Here's another oddity about my troubled news server.  It's happenend a few
> times where innd is using 0% CPU, doesn't show up in ps -aux, but is still
> runinng and can't be killed.

> 28266 news    -18   0 21868K  8516K objtrm  88:51  0.00%  0.00% innd

Note the state it is in.  "objtrm" is in the VM subsystem and you sent
a message about trouble with the swap partition to the list.  It is
waiting there for a paging operation to terminate.

If this is the same machine a quick guess (w/o having read all the
source) from me is that the swap in failed due to an I/O error.  You
then tried to kill it (or the system did that) which was successful so
far.

Now the system has to free the processes memory and that's what I
think it was doing when you discovered this state.  It was waiting for
a paging operation to terminate in order to free memory but this
termination never happened due to the previous I/O error.

I hope I'm not too wrong with my theory.  At least it sounds plausible
to me.  ;-)

> This is a Pentium 200 system running 2.2.6 BTW.  The only way I could
> think to end this problem is to just reboot.  I hope I'm talking on the
> right list...I didn't notice one for News or innd.

This is the right one as it your problem is related to kernel inter-
nals.

If I'm right I think the propper solution is really to reboot as w/o
this page innd won't do anything anymore.  After rebooting into single
user mode check the swap partition to find out why it failed.

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.