Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:57:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Task activation delays: FreeBSD versus Linux?

Eugene Panchenko wrote:
> gretings.
>
> As seen on kerneltrap.org:
> ---
> Andrew Morton: Ingo Molnar broke the ground here with his
> 2.2.12 patch which demonstrated that Linux could fairly
> easily yield task activation delays which are one to two
> orders of magnitude better than any competing operating
> system.
> ---
>
> is this a truth ? about "orders of magnitude" ? does FreeBSD
> fall under "any competing operating system"?

What is it?

You left off the URL.  Looking on the site, it's not
posted to the front, and the search function does not
locate the article.

To answer your questions, you'll have to provide more
information.  A Linux patch number doesn't cut it.

I expect that this is talking about exec pre-forking; if
so, then yes, it can yield some minor speedup, but you
should not expect much in common applications which fork
and do not exec (e.g. Apache).  There are a number of
micro-benchmarks that could make this approach look good,
though...

-- Terry