Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:40:31 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: marking disks

Brooks Davis wrote:
> > It would be easiest for you to create a partition table on the
> > disk, and steal a table entry with a "magic" partition type to
> > indicate that either the LBA or CHS data was actually version or
> > type information, etc..
>
> The thing I'm worried about there is that some "smart" bios or os might
> sanity check the values and refuse to work with the drive.  Is that a
> likely scenerio?

As long as you never marked the entry active, or ever used the
data in it for other than your "magic" application, I don't see
a problem.  The BIOS only cares about active partitions, and
then only when it is trying to boot ffrom them.

If you want to play it safe, use entry #4 (if it's free) instead
of entry #1 (option base 1).  I have seen a number of RAID products
that used partition table entries for stripe set identifiers before.

While it's theoretically possible for something to care about it,
it's incredibly unlikely.  New partition types happen all the time,
and most partition types are "spoken for".  At a bare minimum, you
should be able to use a very old partition type, make it valid, and
then use the LBA fields (32 bit sector offset and length) to save
your data, since very old things like the original FAT types, never
referenced those fields at all.

If you plan on hacking up fdisk, please teach it about partition
type 27 (decimal), which is "Partition Magic".  It doesn't affect
its operation or FreeBSD's ability to mount the things as FAT32
drives, but it is moderately annoying to see "unknown" out there...
8^).

-- Terry