Date:      20 Dec 1999 09:43:10 +0100
From:      Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   UTC time in crontabs

I have made a small patch (about 10 lines of code) to "cron" that lets
people choose between localtime and gmtime for their crontab entries.
The choice is made depending on the setting of an environment variable
in the crontab file. The cost is a factor 2 for the tiny amount of work
that cron does when it checks all the crontab entries every minute.

Any interest in this?

I finally got tired of having to use local daylight saving time for
crontabs after seeing my nightly statistics-gathering scripts having
to deal with 23 hour days, 25 hour days, some scripts running twice
the same night, or not running at all, etc.

--
Björn Danielsson  KTHNOC / Swedish University Network
   (mail me for my real e-mail address)