Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        mb@imp.ch, marks@ripe.net, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

On 22 Aug, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

> However, this kind of problem in most cases spells bad HW to me,
> ie subspec RAM, poor powersupply, badly cooled CPU, overclocking etc etc...

My motherboard chipset supports ECC RAM and I have ECC RAM installed.  I
upgraded to an expensive Antec power supply that has better specs than
most of the other supplies I looked at.  The system is plugged into a
surge supressor.  I don't currently have an UPS.  I added an extra case
fan and drive cooler fans, and the two failures happened in the evening
after the room cooled off.  For some reason xmbmon doesn't seem to be
working at the moment, but when I looked at the temperatures previously
they seemed to be acceptable.  I don't believe in overclocking.