Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:12:15 -0600
From:      "DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <gene_dinkey@hp.com>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>, "DINKEY,GENE (HP-Loveland,ex1)" <gene_dinkey@hp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Slice size larger than disk size during install?

>On Sunday,  9 July 2000 at  7:40:32 -0700, GENE DINKEY wrote:
>> I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 on a P90 w/ 24MB RAM.
>I'm using the boot
>> floppies, the first time I went through the installation the
>only problem I
>> had was a loose cable on the back of the cdrom (probably
>happened while I
>> was moving the system) that caused the package installation
>to abort.  I
>> didn't have any problems slicing out the HDD or anything like that.
>>
>> After I rebooted I can boot off of the floppies but when I
>try to load the
>> install it tries to read the HDD then says "slice size
>larger than disk
>> size", gives a few numbers (slice Vs disk and such)
>
>We need to see them.

Actually I got the problem taken care of.  I went in with fdisk and deleted
the non DOS partition and [roceded to install.  I think the problem lies
with my 4.0 Release CD, after it creates the file systems and starts to read
the packages off the disk on the debug console I get a seriese of messages
like this...

TOC_READ failed: reseting device
done
(repeat 5 times)
READ_BIG failed: reseting device
done
(again repeat 5 times or so)

it goes like this for a while with different messages (I didn't write them
down and I'm currently at work sorry) until it just comes to a dead hang.  I
decided to try my 3.5 disk to see how that worked and I didn't have a single
problem with it.  Installed, compiled a kernel, configured both nics...not a
hicup.  I think the problem may be with my 4.0 disk...oh well I suppose I
can still cvsup to 4.0...

Thank you for your help

Gene