Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:36:26 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, nate@mt.sri.com, scott@statsci.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

>2. It's something we ourselves added and wasn't in Adam's original
>   pmake?  I don't see anything in the current commit logs but,
>   as you say, there might be something in the old cvs tree.
>
>I'm more than willing to put it back (and it's only been gone for a
>few hours - sheesh :-), I just want to know if I can say "so don't do
>that!" to people like Micheal Reifenberger when they bang some other
>value into $PWD.  If that's the case, I've no problem with putting it
>back.
>
>I'm also curious as to why you say it saves a lot of time when, in
>fact, it's done AFTER the call to getcwd() and merely overrides it.

   I think Poul's confused. I think he's thinking about the enhancement to
getcwd() that was proposed by Keith Bostic that was put in and then we had
to remove because it was causing things to break:

src/libc/gen/getcwd.c:
----------------------------
revision 1.4
date: 1995/02/07 05:52:57;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -24
branches:  1.4.4;
Backed out Keith Bostic's getcwd/$PWD hack. It is causing things to break
all over the place.
revision 1.3
date: 1995/02/04 19:29:22;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +24 -5
A cute hack to speed up things by Keith:  if getenv("PWD") is the same
inode as ".", then just return that.  I added a check so it must start with
a '/'.

Reviewed by:    phk
Submitted by:   bostic@cs.berkeley.edu (Keith Bostic)

-DG